Preface

So I have cleared my CA-IPCC exam and now I will have to undergo 3 years of article-ship under a CA. And as a result I can't carry on my college [:'(] and is required to continue my B.Com (Honors) degree from correspondence ie School of Open Learning (SOL).
Below I have given a "brief" description of the process of getting migrated from college to SOL, which is one of the finest example of how things work in an Indian government office:-

1. If you want to get out, first get in:-

Once my first year result was declared and admission process began, I went to the administration block and asked them about leaving the college. I was told that in order to leave the college, first I will have to take admission in second year! So I filled the No Ragging Form > deposited my iCard > got the fee slip > paid the fees in bank and came back to the admin block. "Ok, now give me the college leaving certificate (CLC)."

2. The wait

But for CLC, you would first require to get a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from where you want to take the admission ie the SOL office. So I went there, which is luckily only about a kilometer away, and was asked to go to room no.10. There the sir informed me that you need to write an application and bring your original first year marksheet. "But sir, marksheet hasn't yet arrived?" "Then come back when the marksheet arrives."

15 days passed. In the meantime I got my article-ship but since I was still registered with college,  I could join it only when I get migrated to SOL. But there was no sign of marksheet. At the end, me and one of my friend, Prassan, decided to get a copy of marksheet from internet and try to get the NOC. But for the next 3 days, Delhi university's site was out-of-order (and it still is out-of-order!) Frustrated, we decided to visit the SOL office and ask them if there is any other way.

3. Come, cuss and go

After travelling an hour in metro, me and Prassan reached the room number 10 and asked the ma'am about migration. "I don't know. Ask the sir." "Where is the sir?" "I don't know. He hasn't yet arrived" So we waited, cussing the DU administration. One hour. Two hour. Our blood pressure was going up. And before we would have killed someone, we decided to leave!

(if you have already started pitying me, then hold your condolences. This is just the beginning of my sufferings!)

The same day, which was friday, we got the news that marksheet has arrived. Yayyeee.. now we will get migration easily, or will we?
On Monday I confirmed the availability of marksheet at college and on Tuesday we were in the college, confident to get the NOC today. But a banner was waiting us- "No Dealing Today". What luck! It was a strike! We also checked the SOL office as Prassan had already got his marksheet from his college a day earlier, but it was the same situation there- Strike!

4. Finally some progress

The next morning ie on Wednesday, Sept 8th, after so much of unnecessary wastage of time and efforts, we were confused if today we should go or not as it was a three-day strike. But luckily after several attempts Prassan got the phone connected and they informed that yes the office is open. Again, me and Prassan were travelling in the metro, praying to get the NOC.
First I went to my college office > displayed my fee slip > got my renewed iCard > went to another counter > displayed my iCard > got my marksheet. Finally the much awaited marksheet was in my hand. I was more excited at that moment then I was when I actually passed the exams.
I got the marksheet photocopied, wrote an application and presented them to the sir at room number 10. He stamped and signed the application and asked to take it to the ma'am. Ma'am signed the application and asked to take it to room number 4. We roamed and roamed and finally found the room which was of assistant registrar. And surprise! The room was empty. He was busy in a meeting.
I and Prassan decided to have something to eat but returned back halfway fearing that, in the meantime, assistant registrar will fly away. We came back and there was a person, probably his sidekick, in the room. He took our application and brought it signed by the assistant registrar. Finally, we had the NOC in our hand. It was like a battle won.

But the war wasn't over. It was 12.20 and my college office closes at 12.30!

5. NOC No.2

So I rushed to my college and asked Prassan to purchase the admission form. At the college counter, "Sir, here is the NOC from SOL. Now can I withdraw my admission?" Their reply-"Where is the NOC of the Principal?"

So I wrote another application, this time for the principal. After waiting for around 15 mins, I was allowed to go inside principal's cabin. So the principal asked that why do you want to leave the college. I explained him the reason that I am doing CA and my CA article ship and college timings would clash. I was sure that he won't be having any problem in signing the application. But there was the bouncer- What's the proof that you are doing CA?

(C'mon why else would I leave the regular college and go to SOL. I guess I should have said that I hate your bloody damn college, that's why I want to migrate! Would he had asked the proof in that case also??)

Having no other, I came back home!

The next day- The trip No.5. This time alone without Prassan. At around 10.30 I reached the principal's office along with my CA exam mark sheet as proof. He was in a meeting. An hour's wait and finally I was in. I wanted to throw that marksheet on his face, but then for the respect of marksheet, I controlled myself.

This time with NOC from SOL as well as Principal, I was at the college office. They gave me, no! not the college leaving certificate(CLC), but the clearance form which I have to get it signed from the concerned persons.

6. The signatures

These concerned persons were- Librarian, Fee Assistant, Admission Assistant, Physical Education coach and the NCC officer (phew!). First I went to the librarian, she signed it. Next I searched for the physical education teacher and after two rounds of the college, I gave up. Third was the admission assistant. I went to the admission office and what a luck! He was absent today! Miffed, I came back home.

The next day, on Friday I got ready for my trip number 6. But then I called my friend, Raunak in the college to confirm if the admission assistant is present today. My 6th trip got postponed, he was absent!

(Meanwhile, Prassan has already got his CLC. His college cares for his student, even if they are leaving it.)

7. Lost!

(When I started writing it, I never thought it would go that long but credit to Delhi University!)

I was loosing myself as articleship was getting delayed because of utter nuisance of my college and SOL. Monday was my 6th trip. I didn't care to confirm if the admission asst was present today, because I have to get the migration done anyhow! I can't wait for him more.

At college, I met my friend Vinayak who was in the same boat- trying to migrate from the college. He informed me that Clearance Form is not required for CLC, but for security refund. (Wow! This means I can apply for CLC at the very moment.) So along with SOL and Principal's NOC, I submitted the application for CLC. But then they asked me to also attach the copy of fee receipt.

Copy of fee receipt? Ohk! I can get it photocopied in 5 mins. No problems! But wait a sec! Where is my fee receipt? I frantically searched my folder, my wallet, called Prassan to check with him, called my mom to check in my almiraah. ta-da! I have lost my Fee Receipt!! (When others can delay my work, then why can't I myself contribute to the delay?)

So I am back at fee office.I wrote another application for lost fee slip (during my whole life before, I haven't had written so many applications!) While I was telling him that I had deposited the fee around 19th-20th August - don't know why- he was busy checking the records from 5th-14th August. Obviously, he didn't find anything! And asked me to come back after 2-3days. But then I persuaded and he asked me come back after lunch.

8. I hate this part the most!

So I had 2 hours in my hands. Vinayak and I thought to meanwhile get the clearance signed by physical education teacher and NCC officer, but couldn't find either of them. It started pouring from sky. The rain along with the greenery and the whole atmosphere of campus is something I am gonna miss the most about the college! :( There is something special in the air of campus and rain just multiplies this specialty!

2 hours later, I was back at fee counter. Fee assistant began searching the records. But even after so much try, he could find all the records except of the week in which I  deposited the fees! But luckily, he pitied my situation and provided me a new fee slip. I photocopied it and along with the two NOCs, went to the fee assistant to whom I have to apply for CLC.

"Office dealing timings are already over! Would you come anytime you want! I am not accepting it. I have so many other works to do. Come back tomorrow." First he was absent for 2 days and now he wants to come back tomorrow again!! I was SO FURIOUS!! But then sucking the air between my teeth, I pleaded him (and I hate this pleading part the most!). But I am sure my thoughts were louder than my words and he loved his nose!! So he took my application but.. but.. but

"Get the signatures of fee assistant and the librarian." I had them on the Clearance Form. "No, but on the NOC received from principal!"

9. Finally!

Till that time, I was clear that I am the most lucky person on the Earth. So when I went to the librarian and found that computers were not working there, I was not surprised or angry. I had to wait for the light to come, so that librarian can check on computer if I have any dues and then sign on the NOC. But after waiting for half an hour, she signed the NOC on the basis of her signatures on clearance form.

Fee assistant also signed it and the admission assistant, finally accepted my application for CLC.

Though I was told that I can collect the CLC next morning only. But I waited for a day and on Wednesday, I had CLC in my hands! But the war wasn't over. Now I have to take admission in SOL also.

10. Blunder.

So after collecting the CLC, I went to the SOL office. Prassan was with me and we also met Vinayak there. We already had our Demand Drafts prepared (including Rs.100 as the late fees, only because university delayed our marksheet!). After filling up the admission form, we went to Window No.10 and submitted the form, all the documents including CLC and the DD. But he returned it back. We didn't read that DD was required to be prepared from State Bank of India only! (While Vinayak had it prepared from SBI only, he was sent back because he didn't have Class 12th passing certificate.)

So we were going to the chief cashier to get the DD signed so that it can be accepted. At that time Prassan commented, "Hey! We both have the same Form Number!" And at that time we realized the blunder. Form comes in a combination- one for admission and other for iCard. So while my admission form number was 15 and his was 16, we had interchanged the iCard forms! (Wow! When things go wrong, they all go wrong together!)

So we bought new forms and filled them. This time without any mistake. The chief cashier also signed at the back of our DD and we were again back at window no.10

11.SOL > College > SOL > College > SOL

While Prassan's form was accepted, mine was not! (Why everything was supposed to happen with me? Why? why? WHY!) My CLC didn't have University Enrollment Number mentioned on it .(After so much of efforts they gave me CLC and that too incomplete!) I was asked to get the number from the college.

I went to admission office of my college, but the admission assistant said that college hasn't received them and will get them in October. Obviously, I couldn't wait till October. I went back to the SOL Window No.10. It was lunch, so I waited for an hour.

After lunch, "Your college is stupid!" He informed me that every college themselves allot this number and wrote a note and asked me to present it to a teacher in my college. Back to college, I presented the note to that teacher. He dialed a number and asked me to go to admission office. At admission office, they explained me the whole process of how enrollment number is allocated and how they don't have it.

I don't know a shit about this enrollment number. I had no idea, who was right and who was wrong. Neither did I care. All I wanted was give me the admission in SOL so that I can join my articleship!

Again at Window No.10. He was not impressed with the explanation but then he accepted my form (though I had to pay Rs.200 extra in the absence of enrollment number) and asked me to submit the enrollment number as soon as I get it.

Epilogue- It's all over, Almost!

So finally my migration process is over! My forms are accepted. But is it actually completely over?

I haven't yet submitted my clearance form to get back my security amount. The fee is yet to be refunded. I still have to collect my university enrollment number and submit it to SOL. I haven't yet received my books as the stock was over. And I still have to collect my iCard.

But what matters  is that I have received the admission receipt from SOL which I can present to begin my articleship! :)

Thanks if you have actually dared to read it full! You can imagine, it's so difficult to read, how I would have actually faced it!

DO SYMPATHIZE. COMMENT. RATE. LIKE.